Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Get Out! Explore!

     Not too long ago, my wife and I went exploring on the island of Saipan.  The island separates the Philippine sea and the Pacific ocean.  This island along with its neighbor Tinian played a significant role in the history of the United States during World War II.
    I like many people from the mainland, knew very little about Saipan until my wife and I arrived here in August.  As my wife will tell you, I love history, and the island of Saipan doesn't disappoint.
      One of our first adventures on the island was to the German Bunker.  What I know about this structure can be summed up with two words, Not Much.  However, one of my fellow teachers, knows a great deal about the history of the island and shared with me a lot about this place. I might add it is fascinating. One of the great lessons in education is that people are drawn to what interest them.  It is no surprise that what I have found here to be fascinating to me. Though my wife humors me about some of our explorations of the island thus far, she is very much interested in the local beaches, and the vast amounts of fresh seafood that island life offers.
     As a teacher, I spend time teaching my students what they need to know, not just for the exams, and the class, but for what they need to know in life. I want all of my students to appreciate the opportunity they have to receive an education. Most importantly I want them the appreciate where they live and the rich history that makes up the community.

    In my last blog post, I wrote about the importance of teachers, and adults being part of the community and to find ways to give back to the community.  I encourage you to go and read that blog post.  Today, I want to encourage everyone to learn the local history of where they live. As the old saying goes, "Home is where you hang your hat."  It is important that you know about the history of the area you live.  I suspect this is why so many state legislatures mandate state history for high school students.  Rather than a mandate, maybe it is time that we adults take a moment, and to explore the history around us, and to create some excitement in our young people about the area they live in.  I cannot think of one place that I have spent the night, that did not have some interesting history. A history that helped tell a story of our nation and of the world.
    There are a number of options to learn about the local history.  Museums, parks, monuments, and books are a great way to dive into the local history.  One of the more fun ways to dive into the history is something that my wife enjoys, Festivals.  She loves most Festivals that we have attended, though she makes a point of demanding we stay clear of any festival that talks about Rattlesnakes. I of course comply with her demands on this point.
     One other way you can get out and start learning about history is to explore the ruins you find.  Having spent some time here on the island, my wife and did explore the ruins of the old German Bunker.   In fact the photos on this post are of the structure.  In many ways, the exploration of an area like this will help our children and teens make a personal connection to the history and to the area.  These memories will help to foster a understanding that the places they learn about in school, are real places, not so far away.  Much like the field trips of the elementary school days, these types of adventures can and do serve a great way to connect what is learned in the classroom with the world around us.

    If you have the opportunity to get and explore the local area, DO IT!  Many times, even if it is a tourist spot, we neglect to visit the areas, that are important to the local history.  I know for sure that many of the side trips that my wife and I have made, certainly had a great impact on us both.  The local people who are around, are also a great source for learning about what happened in the area.  They also tell the best stories, and are very willing to guide you in your efforts to explore. Get out and explore!




No comments:

Post a Comment