Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Leadership... A winning trait...


Watch the video first then read the article.  



     My last article was about the misunderstood coach. People who I call friends who inspire others to be better.  Writing about my friends prompted me to go down memory lane.  Growing up I was a huge baseball fan.  I often think of some of the most amazing things I shared with my parent, and I think baseball had a huge impact on me as an adult.

      I intentionally posted at the top of an event that I recall with such vivid detail, it is indelible mark on my persona.  I am an avid Texas Rangers fan, so it is no surprise that when I watch the World Series I support the underdog.  The 2016 World Series, for a lifetime of fans, was an epic experience, one that people will talk about for all time.  Though for me, the 1988 World Series is one that is a true David and Goliath story.  

  Unlike the 2016 Chicago Cubs, by all accounts the 1988 Dodgers had no business being in the World Series, much less winning it, except for one little detail.  Leadership.  The two players that I recall from my youth that had the most influence on the out come of the Dodgers year were Orel Hershiser and Kirk Gibson.

   Without getting into too much detail about what these men did as individual feats, I want people to realize that it was how they inspired their teammates that made the Dodgers contenders and ultimately World Champions. 

     In education, many times we as adults forget about the valuable influence that students have on their peers and we many times miss opportunities to let students help each other.  Edgar Dale says,     "We remember 10% of what we read, 20% of what we hear, 30% of what we see, 50% of what we see, hear 70% of what we discuss with others, 80% of what we personally experience 95% or what we teach others."  While, I believe this to be absolutely true, I want to add, that many times, peers can explain things better than an adult.  

     So it begs the questions, why don't we allow more young people to be peer tutors?  Why don't we have more peer mentoring?  The answer vary.  What is true though is that, when people are given responsibility they thrive.  

     One of the lessons of baseball, that we can apply to the classroom is that our classes, are full of leaders.  They need to be given the opportunity to lead.  Teachers would find it beneficial for students to take ownership in the classroom and for the learning that takes place.  It is an important life skill that all young people and adults need to learn.  

     I am going to leave you with one last video.  It is a picture of what I think is the Single most important play of Kenny Rogers career.  It is the catch that saved his Perfect Game. A game I might add, that I along with my dad and brother were in the stands for.  Team work is always required to win a game, and even if Rusty Greer didn't catch this the Rangers would have won, but Kenny Rogers would not have thrown his Perfect game.  We all can be successful when we work as a team, and that like Kirk Gibson's homer and Kenny Rogers Perfect game, allows for some spectacular individual achievement.  


No comments:

Post a Comment