Wednesday, August 23, 2017

A Reflection on Chapter 5...


Fialka, J. M., Mikus, K. C., & Feldman, A. K. (2012). Parents and Professionals Partnering for Children with Disabilities: A Dance that Matters. Corwin, A SAGE Publications Company.

In our final article on this book, I want to talk a little about how educators and parents can better work as a team.  As we have explored in this series.  Over my career in education, I have dealt with a number of people just like those described in this book. Every , student, child, parent, teacher, and person is unique.  If we as professionals take the time to engage each and every person we come in contact with, then we will do a great deal to closing the divide between professionals and parents.  

In my own career, I want to take the approach of Mister Rogers.  "I like you just the way you are!"  I grew up watching him on PBS.  I will try to live up to the standard he set for himself.  


Reflection #1 (135)

Write a brief note to a parent or professional partner sharing something you valued or appreciate about him or her...

Dear Mr. XXX,
     I wanted to thank you for attending the IEP meeting for you your son, JJJJJ.   Your son, is a wonderful young man. It is clear that you have spent a great deal of time working with JJJJJ and that you care about him very much.  
    It was a pleasure to meet you and your wife today, and I look forward to working with you, your wife, and JJJJJ.  Please feel free to contact me if you ever need anything.  

All the best,

Garrett Jackson

----

As a professional educator, I think that is important that we work as a team with parent, and ensure that their concerns are addressed.  A parent is always going to be the best advocate for a student. Their input is valuable and should always be welcomed by professionals.



No comments:

Post a Comment