Wednesday, July 12, 2017

SPED Law.... Wrightslaw: Special Education law


Wright, P. W., & Wright, P. D. (2014). Wrightslaw: special education law. Hartfield, VA: Harbor House Law Press, Inc.

      I am not a Lawyer, and I am not giving any legal advice here.  I am simply tell you, the reader about information that is out there.  Several years ago, I had the opportunity to attend a workshop put on by the Oklahoma Disability Law Center, about Special Education law.  The workshop, which only lasted a day, taught me more about being an advocate than my previous years of being a teacher.  
     One of the the books, that I received at this workshop and was taught to use was the book pictured to the left.  One of the interesting things about this workshop is that they taught me how to use the book to find the answers, instead of spoon feeding me the answers to my questions.  The old adage of "Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime" is the the approach that was taken.
      About 3 years later I again had the opportunity to attend the same workshop.  With my previous experience, I was more than excited about attending. ( I am the type of guy who can watch a movie, or read a book over and over again and still enjoy it as if it is the first time.)  What I found was the second time I attended the workshop, I learned so much more than the first time.  It was a great experience because, even though I had been introduced to the material, the refresher of what I knew, and my further experience allowed me to understand more of what was going on in the class. 
      Some of what I tell parents and fellow teachers is that you should seek out training such as the Wrights Law workshop.  It is a great tool to help you understand the rights of a Child in education.  Further, I also recommend that everyone get a copy of Peter Wright's book and the Updates. It is a book that is a great reference for parents, advocates, teachers and others.  More importunately, you need to be taking notes in the book about what you are looking up.  This will help you ask the right questions in meetings. 
     Peter Wright, also has a number of other books on the market that are there to help parents and professional provide the required services for children.  If you are able you should add them all to your library.  This may not be possible, so if I have have to recommend a single book for you to get it is this one. It has a number of resources in the back, as well as a fairly comprehensive glossary of terms. 
     As to the layout of this book, it is not like a novel.  It is more like a law book, because that is what it is.  You need to understand that the book is the Law, and as such, a lot of the good information is in the footnotes, and the commentary section.  This information doesn't appear in the law available online. 

     As always, I want to include a few links to give you some other places to go for information.

General

Oklahoma Specific
https://www.oscn.net

Texas Specific

CNMI Specific



No comments:

Post a Comment